25 Apr S02:E05: Empowering Stay-At-Home Moms with Cents of Style CEO, Courtney Brown
Join us at Draft’s Sports Bar & Grill in the beautiful ski town of Park City, Utah as we take a bite out of business with an amazing and empowering entrepreneur, Courtney Brown. What started as a hobby for the stay-at-home mom-turned-CEO grew into a multi-million dollar e-commerce women’s fashion brand, pushing Courtney to tap into a massive unrealized workforce – other moms. Operating outside of the traditional 9-5 business model in order to offer flexibility, Cents of Style has nevertheless seen 200-300% growth 3 years running. How does an all-female company with 32 employees, most of whom are stay-at-home moms, achieve this kind of success?
While devouring a side of tachos (tater-tot nachos) alongside the award-winning Ghost Burger (so named for the ghost pepper hiding in every bite), Courtney explains the struggle of admitting that motherhood isn’t the be-all end-all, finding fulfillment without sacrificing family, and navigating a male-dominated profession. Courtney hopes to empower more women with the courage to join the business world, and she left us with three pieces of wisdom for future female entrepreneurs:
1) Don’t wait; just start
2) Use the incredible free resources that are available
3) It’s okay to grow at your own rate
Watch the episode here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=510foIpPhjs&t=1s
- Learn more about our guest:
- Courtney Brown
- Cents of Style
- On the menu:
- Draft’s Sports Bar & Grill
- Ghost Burger and Tachos
- Tasty quotes to chew on:
- “Fail, and then pivot.”
- “It’s not about the time they’re sitting at their desk, it’s about getting the job done.”
- Food for thought:
- Work life and family life don’t have to be mutually exclusive. It’s all about finding the right balance.
- Create a work schedule that fits your business needs. Not all work days have to be 9 to 5.
- It’s okay to grow at your own pace. Sometimes, slow and easy wins the race.